16 June

new artwork




I finished the painting in the post below. At the moment it's titled Trees and Fairy Lights, for lack of a more imaginative name, and I like the way it looks in dim light best, as the little string of gold lights shine.
And another new artwork - this time the canvas being me. Just beginning... I have big plans for the growth of this little tree :)


Why a tree? I have thought about this a lot (it's my celebratory 40th birthday tattoo - 2 years late), as trees are a symbol I keep coming back to in my work. I have always loved trees, from an early age. Climbing them, enjoying their shade and shelter, their beauty and changing colours.
To me, trees represent growth, strength, wonder, shelter, home... and stability and change at the same time. The tree in a circle motif that I keep coming back is also about feeling a sense of self-containment and growth within. I have additions (colour, flying birds) coming that will help break the tree out of its little circle, and I'm finding now that I want to do it as soon as possible - it feels a little trapped there at the moment! The trees in my art are self-contained, but very much part of their environment, and hopefully that's what my tattoo tree will be when it's finished.
It was strange how, within a day or two of having the work done, I read this blog post - and it summed up to me so well what this little symbol is about. About growing within, but pushing against my perimeter. A reminder of the strength I already have, and the enormous potential for growth.